How Much Do You Know About Memorial Day?
- The first observation was on May 30, 1868 to honor the nation’s Civil War causalities by decorating their graves with flowers and flags.
- President Ulysses S. Grant presided over the ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery.
- After World War I the meaning of Memorial Day changed from honoring civil war dead to honoring Americans who died fighting in any war.
- The last Monday of May was chosen because flowers are in bloom all over the country.
- Memorial Day was declared a federal holiday in 1971.
- At 3 p.m. on Memorial Day, all Americans should observe a moment of remembrance and respect
- It is customary to fly flags at half-staff until noon.
Test your knowledge with this Memorial Day Quiz
Happy Memorial Day
The Markit Team